Main Menu

10 Things Your Sponsored Child Needs To Hear

With your sponsored child being half way across the world, living in a completely different culture and context, it can be hard to know what to say to encourage them. To help you, we’ve put together a list of 10 things your sponsored child needs to hear in your next few letters.

Your financial support is crucial to helping your sponsored child to break free from the chains of poverty. So too are the words you speak to them, helping them to overcome the apathy and fatalism of poverty. It’s easy to assume that our letters don’t make much of a difference, but your words have the ability to speak life into a child’s life.

It’s also a biblical principle. In Proverbs 18:21 it says,

“The tongue has the power of life and death,  and those who love it will eat its fruit.”

Here is a list of 10 things your sponsored child desperately needs to hear in your letters (in no specific order):

1. You are so important to God

2. There is a reason why you are in this world

3. Your future is better than today

4. You are loved by me

5. God loves you (and tell them the gospel of Jesus Christ)

6. God has a plan for your life

7. Follow your dreams

8. I am praying for you and your family

9. I love reading your letters

10. You are a very important person to your community

What do you normally write to encourage your sponsored child? Help us add to this list.

, , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to 10 Things Your Sponsored Child Needs To Hear

1. Mollie Dixon 17/06/2012 at 2:46 pm #

I try to show my sponsored child something of the rest of the world, places I have visited with pictures so that she knows something of the wider world beyond poverty. I tell her about my family and how much she is loved and God loves her.

2. Pumlani Sidlayi 08/07/2012 at 11:24 pm #

Great to see the list, am fairly new to compassion and I find writing a letter to a 7 year old a bit hard as its hard to find words or to put things in a way they can understand. Will definitely use it next time :)

3. Margaret Payne 10/07/2012 at 4:16 pm #

As a newcomer to Compassion I have just recieved my first reply from my sponsered child , and I was so excited and told him so.
    It prompted me to sent him a picture of me. Thankyou for prompting me to share the scriptures with him. In my next letter I shall tell him how special he is to God and me. Maggie

4. Bettina Cardwell 15/10/2012 at 6:25 am #

My brother has a sponsored child and he treats it as his own. He taught the child on how important life is and on how to rise-up from fall. He loves him so much.

5. compassion_master 29/04/2013 at 9:51 am #

Hi MaryLou, thank you for your comment. We would love for you to bookmark and share this blog post on your website.
    Thanks, Emma

6. ShirleyAnne 10/04/2014 at 2:41 pm #

Thank you for suggestions of what to say/ask in my letters. I know my sponsored child loves receiving letters from me, and I love hearing from her. My heart jumps for joy when her letter arrives!