Main Menu

The Final Letter

Have you ever wondered about the real impact of your sponsorship? Below is the final letter written by a formerly sponsored child from Thailand to her sponsor. Her words speak of a young woman with the world at her feet. Be encouraged!

Dear Sponsor (name withheld for sponsor’s privacy),

First of all, may the grace and peace of God be with you and your family for always. Every time I write a letter to you, I am very happy and excited to talk to you again. This time, it is breathtaking and I don’t want to write because it is the last letter I will be able to write to you as I have reached the maximum age for the project.

It has passed by very quickly. I have been given the opportunity to study since I was young. I could study many lessons such as the Thai tutoring when I started primary school, or I could study computers, the guitar and English lessons on Saturdays. I got to join in the summer camp held at the beach, the retreat camp, the youth camp and the evangelism team with my friends each year. Morever, I got to learn about dental care, teenage life and against using drugs. I got to attend the activities with my friends whether on Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, Teacher’s Day, Children’s Day and Thanksgiving. I have improved and changed in every way. From a stubborn girl who couldn’t read and never learned about God, I can now read, write and speak, and most of all I have come to know God and I have Jesus in my life.

The important thing is that I could learn about you and your family. Even though we have never met each other, I can feel the love from you and your family towards me. The love from you and your family is always in my heart and it is unforgettable. I love you and your family so much. I would like to thank you very much for sponsorsing me so that I could study. I can have this day because of you and your family who are among the most important things in my life.

Because of the mercy of God towards me, I am provided with the best in my life. Even though I will not stay with the project any more, I will never forget about it and I will never forget about God’s blessing. You and your family will always be in my prayer. From now on, I will go out to the world I have never been and I will follow my dream and make my dreams come true.

Thank you very much for your love and the gifts, whether it was at Christmas or for my birthday. Thank you for the letters and photos from you. I dont know what I will have to face in the future so please pray for me about my studying in the university too. For the tuition fees and the other expenses, God has provided for me already. Even though you are not my sponsors any more, there are still many children who are looking for your help and sponsorship that they will have a chance to study like me.

Finally, I hope you and your family take good care of your health. May God protect you and your family in your life and in every work for always.

Best regards,

From Daughter Jantakarn.

, , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to The Final Letter

1. Margaret Porter. 15/05/2012 at 4:59 pm #

Wow.

• Joe
      Joe Henegan 15/05/2012 at 5:15 pm #

wow indeed!

2. Susan G 16/05/2012 at 11:00 am #

How encouraging!! We sponsor a little girl and her letters and photos bring us such joy – so glad we did this.

3. Phillipa Williams 08/06/2012 at 5:27 pm #

So encouraging. It is a blessing to be able to sponsor these children. How amazing that God had already arranged and set aside for us the children on Comapssion programme! Often we think it is something we decide to do…but it is actually God’s idea first…the seed gets planted in us…the harvest is His. Awesome

4. Peter Hagenbuch 08/06/2012 at 6:23 pm #

Super letter. None of my sponsored children have yet reached the age when they leave the project but that time will come and then we have to let them go, as we do our own children, in the knowledge that we have done our best to give them a chance in life.

5. Sue M 08/06/2012 at 6:52 pm #

How wonderful this letter is. We have just started to sponsor a little boy and are really encouraged by this letter and to see how God worked His purpose out. What a privilege it is to be able to sponsor these children in this way and to hear about how the project helps them in education and growth in their knowledge of Jesus Christ.

6. Mrs Beryl Wootton 08/06/2012 at 7:52 pm #

A truly wonderful letter to receive, but also filled with sorrow that it is the Last Letter. It is equally traumatic to have to write a Last Letter to a sponsored child who is leaving a Project before reaching the required age – for whatever reason. But a chance to write that final letter goes a long way to send love and bring closure.

7. Frankie G 08/06/2012 at 9:07 pm #

We have sponsored children for the last 25 years and have had so much joy and pleasure from their letters and photos, it is the single most satisfying way of providing help for children not blessed with education as the children of the UK

8. Lorraine P 09/06/2012 at 6:05 pm #

What a wonderful letter. we too sponsor a child and are always blessed when we receive letters, drawings and photos. It’s very encouraging to see the result of sponsorship and God’s love in a person’s life.

9. JANET 10/06/2012 at 3:52 pm #

• Fran W 12/06/2012 at 2:11 pm #

Don’t be disheartened – I guess sometimes it can be more difficult for a child/teenager to express their feelings or write about their circumstances but the great thing is you are doing a wonderful thing helping them when without you they would not have the support they need …you have been faithful to them despite little response- it’s like that with our own children at times and it can hurt but hey God knows and He appreciates it!! :) God bless

• Pete Lewis 13/06/2012 at 1:58 pm #

Unfortunately I have to agree with Janet. (I think the recipient of this letter is very fortunate. As the sponsor of a child who will soon be twenty-one I have to say that I have been very disappointed by the letters I have received. they have been very brief and given very little information about person being sponsored, her life and her family.)

I suspect the more likely “norm” is that of her experience and of both myself and my wife (4 sponsorships in total) in that we only every really get very simple “generalised”, repeated & inane replies which rarely address any of the questions asked in our own letters, which then leads to discoouragement on and I have to admit, a resultant dwindling of willingness to write much or very often atall.

• Ginny Sharman
      Ginny Sharman 14/06/2012 at 10:08 am #

Do please contact the Sponsor Relations staff on 01932 836490 to discuss. We want to ensure your sponsorship experience is excellent. We and your sponsored child value and appreciate your support so very much. We hope to hear from you soon.

10. John Gibb 11/06/2012 at 8:33 pm #

I think this a wonderful project I now sponsor 3 children your heart goes out to them we have so much in the UK where as they would have nothing if it were not for Compassion it is a privelage to help in this small way I have had letters from the boy i started sponsoring last year havent heard from the other two yet i sponsored this year at Spring Harvest I couldnt keep away from the stand this year I have written to all each of them now so time enough to get a reply great project

11. Susie H 12/06/2012 at 4:19 pm #

How very timely this is…I was only telling a friend the other day just how important our letters, photos and stories are for our sponsored children. It’s great that children are sponsored as it gives them a chance of hope in life BUT I believe that the relationships we forge with the children go beyond our understanding sometimes. After all it’s our relationship with Jesus that really makes the difference in our lives isn’t it!

12. Jim Devine 30/06/2012 at 6:42 pm #

I have sponsored a girl (Ritah) from Uganda since she was four and she is now seven. She has not yet been able to write herself so all letters are written by a helper, different each time, who obviously prompts the child on what should be written. But progress is being made as Ritah is now printing her name. Although there is very little about her family she does list all the things she has purchased with the money I send her for Christmas and her birthday. The whole sponsorship scheme is a truly wonderful projest in helping and educating children who would have very little or perhaps nothing in life to look forward to. I must agree with Philippa Williams that this must have been God’s prompting both in setting up the scheme originally and in prompting so many people to become sponsors in the first place.

13. Mrs E. Chamberlain 06/07/2012 at 5:29 pm #

We never know the outcome when we start sponsorship, but we do know we are giving a child a greater chance in life. I have found it a mixed blessing, heartache as well as joy. My first sponsored child,was a girl with whom I built up a very real relationship.
    Her letters becane very interesting as she matured,and her faith grew too. Then at 16 she suddenly left, not only the Project, but also her country, on the promise of employment. My continuing prayer is to place her in God’s hands, hoping she is being treated well in safe employment, but with no assurance that this is the reality for her.
    I’m just glad I sent money for her to have a Bible of her own.
    My next child has not got beyond set phrases in 4 years. My comfort is to see how she is growing in the photes that I receive, and I pray that she completes her schooling.
    Recently I received a truly humbling final letter from a young man who needed a new sponsor to complete his education. I miss our letters, they were a real exchange of mutual affection. It was a shock to find that because of his age he had to leave the project when his final Higher Exams were as close as this November. Therefore, apart his thanks for support, and praise for all Compassion hed given him over many years, he was also able to reassure me that funding to complete his studies had been found from another source. I do pray that he may become a real force for good in his community in
    the future.
    Now I begin a relationship with another older girl, add I wait to see how life develops for her alongside mt own grandchildren.
    My daughter is now encouraging her teenage daughter to share letter writing to child whom they have started sponsoring. To me that is a great way for an english child to come alongside a child from far less fovourable circumstances than her own, but there is no way of know from the start how things will turn out. I pray both girls may catch a glimse of how God use people to show His love others.

14. Elizabeth 14/11/2012 at 7:54 pm #

it has been good to read people’s genuine experiences (both the encouraged and the disappointed) it has prepared me to be realistic in my expectations as i’m just a newby; can there be anything more exciting than being involved in passing on the blessings we receive in Jesus Name?

15. Daren 28/11/2012 at 12:44 pm #

Like Elizabeth I am new to Compassion and their unique way of engaging with children. I have for the last 8 years and continue to also sponsor a girl through Toybox as this is alo a worthy organisation. Toybox does not engage in the same way, which is why I chose my second sponsorship through Compassion. I do look forward to engaging in conversation over the comming years.

16. Amy 21/03/2013 at 11:55 am #

Such a great inspiring article!

17. Pete 07/05/2013 at 6:53 am #

Hi,
    Lovely letter. However, while you withhold the sponsor’s name for their privacy, I think you have printed the child’s name? I’d find it more appropriate to respect the privacy both of Thai young people and UK sponsors. Thanks!

18. Emma Hay
    Emma Hay 09/05/2013 at 8:44 am #

Hi there, thanks for your concern. We have removed the child’s surname in order to protect their privacy.
    Thanks,
    Emma

19. Gill Foster 27/05/2013 at 3:19 pm #

Wow what a letter. We are waiting for our first letter. But even without our letter our love and prayers for our little boy are given daily. When our letter comes it will be so emotional in our house so I cant begin to feel how this young lady’s sponsor’s will feel knowing that its there last. Best wishes and prayers to her as she continues her way with the Lord. x

• Emma Hay
      Emma Hay 28/05/2013 at 1:02 pm #

Thank you for sponsoring!I hope you enjoy your first letter when it arrives

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Charitable Crossroads | 1Kusogaki - 01/09/2013

[…] “The important thing is that I could learn about you and your family. Even though we have never met each other, I can feel the love from you and your family towards me. The love from you and your family is always in my heart and it is unforgettable. I love you and your family so much. I would like to thank you very much for sponsoring me so that I could study. I can have this day because of you and your family who are among the most important things in my life.” You can find the whole article here. […]